Our Immigration Story

After a term of questioning, researching, clarifying, publishing and presenting, our First Contacts Integrated Unit has come to an end. 

During the unit we explored the following questions:

1. Why did the great journeys of exploration occur?

2. What was life like for the Indigenous Australian people before the arrival of the Europeans?

3. Why did the Europeans settle in Australia?

4. What was the nature and consequence of contact between the Indigenous Australian people and early traders, explorers and settlers?

We even researched our own family history to learn our own immigration stories. Watch our video to see the origins of our families and the year they arrived in Australia.

What is your family’s immigration story and what was their reason?

13 Comments on Our Immigration Story

1. lucasccbgs
    June 25, 2018 at 10:23 pm (6 years ago)

My grandpa immigrated from Hong Kong to Australia on Qantas in 1984. When they arrived it was a Sunday 12:00 so all the shops were closed so they were suprised. When grandpa arrived he was a chef that made dumplings. Grandma worked at a factory owned by my present head deputy teacher of my Chinese school.
    Who from your family immigrated to your country?
    Bye for now,
    Lucas

Reply
  2. ananyacbgs
    June 25, 2018 at 10:30 pm (6 years ago)

My great great great great grand mother and grand father came from Scotland in 1854 as coffers they had eight children one witch they left in Scotland.
    They came here because they were cofers and the rich people wanted to put sheep on there land so they came to Australia where one of their children Donled, my great great great grand father got married and had my great great grand father Ronld who had my great grand mother grand nana who had my nan who had my mum who had me
    Ananya

Reply
  3. joannacbgs
    June 26, 2018 at 10:31 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    My family and me were the first to immigrate to Australia. In 2010, my family moved from Shanghai, China, to Melbourne, Australia. We moved because we wanted to try a different lifestyle from the crowded streets of China! My mum and dad were both 34. My brother, Thomas, was 6 and I was 2. In China, we lived here in apartment. Now, in Melbourne, I have moved 3 times in the same suburb! I have enjoyed Melbourne so much!
    Tell me about a time you visited another country!
    Bye for now, Joanna.

Reply
  4. morgancbgs
    June 26, 2018 at 10:32 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    I really liked all of your first fleet blog post and I have a immigration story about my dad.

So my dad and his family had to go to Australia to live a peaceful life because there was a war in Vietnam and it was very unsafe. Here’s a fun fact about my dad when his family arrived at Australia there were actually on the news paper and he also came to Australia when his was 2 years old.

Well do you have a story about your dad if not you can share me a story about another family member. Well I’ll see you in term 3 bye for now.

From Morgan,

Reply
  5. esthercbgs
    June 26, 2018 at 10:35 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    My grandpa came to Australia after the 2nd world war to live in a safe and peaceful country. After that he started in the medical buisness and helped make some of the life saving inventions that we have now.
    Why did your descendants come to wherever they are now?
    See you later,
    Esther

Reply
  6. dylancbgs
    June 26, 2018 at 10:35 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    My immigration story is a weird one. It has not as much stuff as you think. So, this is my immigration story…
    One day my great great grandfather came from Scotland just let me repeat just came to farm potatoes. How crazy is that?
    And now for my great great grandmother. She was a retired actress and came here to retire. She married her hair slyest (which isn’t my great great grandfather). And all of that leads to me! And my brother.

What was a part of your immigration story?

Reply
  7. kobecbgs
    June 26, 2018 at 10:37 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    My family on my mums side came from Cornwall in England. It was in the 1830s from a man called Benjamin Bones. He came as a convict on a ship called the Henry Porcher. They later arrived at Van Diemen’s land (Tasmania) and he came with his brother Thomas Bones. He was sentenced because he stole 13 foul.
    What’s your immigration story?
    From Kobe.

Reply
  8. maxcbgs
    June 26, 2018 at 10:38 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    My opa immigrated from Holland. (also known as the Netherlands) He came to Australia in 1946 the year after the Second World War ended. He came to Australia because the post war was a disaster. My great grandparents also started teaching my opa English when he was 5 because they were preparing to go to Australia.
    Who from your family immigrated to this country?

Reply
  9. Alex
    June 26, 2018 at 10:39 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    I enjoyed reading your post about ‘Immagration Stories.

My grandma migrated from Macedonia in 1972. The reason was because tips he wanted to make money in Australia and then would return to her ho,e country. But then while she was there, she thought that Australia was a really good place and made that country her home.

What is your immagration story?
    Leave a comment to let me know.
    From Alex

Reply
  10. victoriapcbgs
    June 26, 2018 at 10:41 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T
    My immigration story is from Greece my grandma and my grandpa are both from Greece. My grandma came in 1966 to Australia and my grandpa came the same year . but my grandmother came on a plane and my grandpa came on a ship.where did your grandpa or grandma came from?

Tori

Reply
  11. madisoncbgs
    June 26, 2018 at 10:45 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T!
    My immigration story is about my grandparents. My pappou came from Greece to Australia and it took round about 1 month. My yiayia came from Greece to Australia by plane and it took her 3 days. This is all from my dads side. My mum is Australian. But I don’t know her immigration story is.

What are your immigrations?
    Regards
    Madi

Reply
  12. aphroditecbgs
    June 26, 2018 at 10:48 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    I love your post about immigration story.
    My grandpa came to Australia on April 1 1952.
    He worked with his brother in low he also has some other jobs like baker,
    Delivery driver and a paint worker.
    He live with his side.
    What day did your grandpa or grandma came to Australia.
    Aphrodite

Reply
  13. hollycbgs
    June 26, 2018 at 10:50 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T
    My nan was born in Australia and she broke up and moved to Queensland with my mum.
    She went to Italy but she did not like it.
    Next, Bali but she did not like it.
    So she went back to Queensland.
    Have you been overseas? Where did you go?
    From Holly.

Reply