Our Changing Landscape

Our landscape is always changing by both natural and human impacts. These can be both positive and negative.

On Monday, Alex from Hands-On Science came to help us to broaden our understanding. 4T participated in a range of experiments to experience natural processes such as weathering and erosion and to understand how landforms around us were created and are changing.

Read the comments on this post for 4T’s insights and curiosities from the session.

Watch the video below to see a quick snapshot of the hypothesising, testing and observing that went on in our session.

4T, leave a comment with something interesting that you learned from our session and a question that it has prompted you to wonder about.

5 Comments on Our Changing Landscape

1. sorayacbgs
    October 24, 2019 at 3:52 am (5 years ago)

Hello 4T
    Hand on science was the best making experiment only like three ingredients.
    My favourite e experiment was the egg shell seeing the bubbles rise in the egg shells .
    My second favourite experiment with using little crystals to make some smash up mess .
    Bye for now Soraya!

Reply
  2. coopercbgs
    October 24, 2019 at 4:08 am (5 years ago)

Hi 4T
    Great post. I’ve gotta agree that hands on science was pretty awesome. On your question I learnt about the different types of rocks. I also learnt that water dissolves sugar. I wonder how far into the earth we will dig in 30 years from now?
    From Cooper.

Reply
  3. harveylcbgs
    October 24, 2019 at 4:09 am (5 years ago)

Hi 4T
    I’m very excited for this term!
    I’m learning about the changing environment.
    In the experiment, I was very surprised that the sand turned blue after shaking it with some chalk in a container.
    What happened in the container that caused the sand to turn blue?

Reply
  4. opheliacbgs
    October 24, 2019 at 4:12 am (5 years ago)

Hi.
    In Hands On Science I learnt what weathering is all about! It is when sand or soil swirls around in one way and it engraves the rock and makes it all curvy and it gives them very unique shapes. This was very interesting because Alex told us how amazing rocks were formed just from weathering! In the video you can see us shaking the can which had chalk inside. Then it became so smooth. This really amazed me.

What else do you think could engrave a rock?

Reply
  5. sambcbgs
    October 24, 2019 at 4:15 am (5 years ago)

Hi 4T.
    I learnt that if you have salt water and it gets soaked into water than dries the salt stays in the water.
    What would chalk from the top of building?

Reply