National Reconciliation Week

On Sunday 26 May, Australia commemorated National Sorry Day to remember the mistreatment of the country’s Aboriginal People. This week is Reconciliation Week. The date commemorates the successful 1967 referendum and the High Court Mabo decision, two significant events in the reconciliation journey.

This year’s theme is  ‘Grounded in Truth: Walk Together with Courage.‘

Read the questions below and then follow this link to watch the video from BTN about Reconciliation Week. 

• Explain what National Reconciliation Week is in your own words.

• What are 2 ways you think Australia could become a more equal and accepting place? What would we need to do to achieve this?

• Which Positive Learner Attribute has been demonstrated in this video and how was it portrayed? 

Choose two of the questions to leave as a comment. 

15 Comments on National Reconciliation Week

1. audreytcbgs
    May 27, 2019 at 3:49 am (5 years ago)

Hi 4T,

National Reconciliation Week is when we say sorry to how we treated the aborigines.

I think two positive learner attribute was courage for the girl and the people since maybe they were thinking stranger danger. The second one was reflection for the classes and almost everyone to reflect on what happened to the aboriginals.

Would you hug that girl? Why or why not?

Your classmate (again),
    Audrey

Reply
  2. coopercbgs
    May 27, 2019 at 4:13 am (5 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    Great post. National reconciliation week is a week to say sorry for treating aboriginals so badly and for the trust between us and then to rise. We could learn more about how they we’re treated. We could achieve this by going round to schools and persuading them to teach their pupils about this problem. We could also tell the government that there’s no difference between people with white skin and dark skin. We could achieve this by telling the government. We think that courage was portrayed when the girl did a social experiment on aboriginal trust.
    Bye bye for now, Cooper and Susie.

Reply
  3. Mikko
    May 28, 2019 at 1:38 am (5 years ago)

Hello, 4T!

As you can probably see, Reconciliation Week is such an important week, as Aboriginal and non-Aboriginals come together to make peace. Aboriginals are now starting to be respected. But a long time ago, this is not how they were treated. They had to go to different schools to white people, had to sit on different sides on a the bus, not allowed to swim in the same pool, so on.

Maybe we should invite Aboriginal Elders to come to schools, so they could learn about us, and we will learn more about them. I believe that we SHOULD and WILL respect Aboriginals more, because even though Reconciliation Week is to make sure the Aboriginal has the same equality as us, people still treat Aboriginals horribly.

The girl in the video was really courageous to stand up in front of public and wait for a hug.

What do you think we should do to help the Aboriginals?

See you next time, Mikko

Reply
  4. vedacbgs
    May 28, 2019 at 1:39 am (5 years ago)

To 4T

I love your post and that video made me really think about how Aboriginals were treated so badly and that we have made it more fair but we still have a long way to go. Reconciliation week is all about trying to change how unfair it is and come together with Aboriginal and non Aboriginal people. It is also about apologising to them about how unfair it was for their people. I think that Australia could make it more fair by having more Indigenous ceremonies and try to learn more about Indigenous culture and their spirits and gods. In that video the girl was very courageous to put herself out their and to try and make a change in how her people are treated. What are some ways you think Australia could be more fair?

From Veda

Reply
  5. raphaelcbgs
    May 28, 2019 at 1:40 am (5 years ago)

Hi 4T!
    I think national reconciliation week is where we have to recognise the actual owners of the land, which are the aboriginal people. I think two ways we could make Australia a more equal place is maybe every school gets to visit a aboriginal town like Robinson River. I thought the Robinson river kids enjoyed Carey visits. Another way we could achieve this is by trying to celebrate there culture and beliefs this helps us to mend our relationship with aboriginal people.

Can you think of another way to achieve equality from aboriginal people and white people in Australia?

Reply
  6. willncbgs
    May 28, 2019 at 2:03 am (5 years ago)

Hi 4T
    I think reconciliation week is were we say sorry for treating the aboriginals poorly. I also think that it is very brave to stand in the middle of a beach asking for hugs also.

By Will

Reply
  7. islacbgs
    May 28, 2019 at 11:17 pm (5 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    I think reconciliation week is about saying sorry to the Aboriginals for treating them VERY bad, ( we were treating them like they weren’t even humans! ). I think that everyone should say sorry to Aboriginals because of how we had treated them. I think it is very brave of the girl to that experiment.
    Would you hug the girl? I know I would’ve.
    Bye for now, Isla

Reply
  8. samocbgs
    May 28, 2019 at 11:17 pm (5 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    I think reconciliation week is where recognises the owners of the land that are aboriginal people. I think that girl was very brave to stand there and get hugs by people that she doesn’t know.
    By 4T

Reply
  9. lizziecbgs
    May 28, 2019 at 11:28 pm (5 years ago)

Hello fellow friends Lizzie’s back,
    I found this video really sad and happy at the same time. I think the girl was really brave to stand there and wait for a hug. She is a role model for all people. Is is a inspiration. If I could go back in time I would just change the past. All I want to say is sorry.

Have you ever been that brave? When? If not are you inspired by her? How?

From Lizzie

Reply
  10. arthurcbgs
    May 28, 2019 at 11:29 pm (5 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    National reconciliation day is when it gives a chance for aboriginals and white people to bond and
    celebrate the election.

A way to make australia improve to aborigines is not being racist. Another way is to apologise on what has happened. And treat them as well as we are.

Do you agree with me and why??? What are some things you we can improve on???

Reply
  11. opheliacbgs
    May 28, 2019 at 11:30 pm (5 years ago)

Hello fellow friends! I’m BACK!!
    I found the video very emotional and very inspiring. I found the girl very brave to blind fold herself and then let STRANGERS hug her.

What do you think are ways to help aboriginal people?

Reply
  12. jettccbgs
    May 31, 2019 at 1:34 am (5 years ago)

Hi 4T,

Now hearing How amazing that blog post was it really doesn’t matter what skin colour we are but we all have the same heart and how we treated the Aboriginal people was not right.

How can we help the aboriginal people? Leave a comment and tell me why.

Reply
  13. niamhcbgs
    May 31, 2019 at 1:38 am (5 years ago)

Hello!
    I Think that reconciliation week is where we have to except what we did in the past and say sorry for what happened. After all this is your land and we just took it away from you. So even though we personally didn’t do it, we are all very sorry for what had happened.

I think that the girl who asked for hugs showed a lot and a lot of courage. Honestly I don’t think that I would be able to summon up all that bravery. It also would take some creativity to come up with that idea of hugging people. So I think she would be an ideal idol for kids.

I TRUST YOU!!!!!!!!!!
    Niamh.🥳

Reply
  14. Maya
    May 31, 2019 at 1:40 am (5 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    Great post.National Reconciliation week is a time for all Australians get together and respect the aboriginal culture.
    I think it was very good to see strangers come up to the girl and hug her. I think she was very brave to think of an idea to stand blindfolded around lots of people to see if they would come up to her.
    What do you do on National Reconstruction week?

Reply
  15. avalcbgs
    May 31, 2019 at 1:45 am (5 years ago)

Hi 4T (fellow class mates),
    That video SO was uplifting. My opinion of reconciliation is where we recognise how the European settlers weren’t fair to Aborigines and we acknowledge how there is nothing different about us and them.
    In that video the girl show trust and courage. She couldn’t see anyone so it was hard to know what they looked like. I would of hugged her because it doesn’t matter how they might look. The only thing is that you trust them and they trust you because WE ARE ONE!
    Thanks for reading my comment, do you know what reconciliation means, if you do leave a comment.
    Thanks, Ava

Reply