Year 4 Camp 2018

What an action-packed couple of days Year 4 camp has been!
Not only did we learn about the natural environment and Indigenous culture, we have also done a heap of team building and exciting activities. Yes, we even developed our understandings about what it really means to set the table and clean up.
Gee we had fun!

The 4km Silvan Dam walk to the Mt Evelyn Recreation Camp was a bit of a hike, but was well worth it when we were welcomed by Jeff from Indigicate. He invited us to participate in a traditional Indigenous smoking ceremony. Engulfed by the smoke, we had to make the loudest sound we could (anything will do, there were some interesting versions) to alert our ancestors that we were there at the camp site, but also to protect us during our stay. 

During our stay, we spent the next two days participating in so many fun and educational activities which included:

• Hut building
  • Damper making
  • Giant swing
  • Kaos scavenger hunt
  • Wildlife encounter
  • Nature Bush Craft
  • Indigicate aboriginal culture experience
  • Night walk
  • Movie night

Just before our 4km hike to the campsite.

Made with Padlet

To see more photos of our fabulous time at Camp, log on to CLASSe and look for the ‘4T 2018 Camp Photos’ link underneath the Home Tasks tab.

We all showed terrific courage and curiosity that throughout the different challenges, both physical and mental. We also tried to remain positive by encouraging others to do and be their best. It was an amazing experience.

Check out the individual student blogs of 4T to read more about our camp experiences.

Positive Learner Attributes

Using our school’s Personal Learner Attributes, can you give me an example of a time that you had to use one of these traits?

22 Comments on Year 4 Camp 2018

1. lucasccbgs
    June 6, 2018 at 10:58 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    I think we would need to use the relationships section to complete hut building and Kaos because if you didn’t collaborate your whole team would get drenched and soaked. You would need to use communication for the scavenger hunt to tell each other where the letters could be and for the word scramble.
    Bye, Lucas

Reply
  2. esthercbgs
    June 6, 2018 at 11:02 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    I showed CONNECTEDNESS when I was in a group with a lot of people I did not know and I made a lot of new friends.

I also showed COURAGE when I went on the giant swing because the start was very scary and I did not know what to do.

Did you like the giant swing? If so, did you go to the top?
    See you later,
    Esther

Reply
  3. patrickcbgs
    June 6, 2018 at 11:04 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    I really enjoyed the 3 days and 2 night ps we were at Mt Evelyn camp.
    I think that some of the traits I used throughout camp were…
    Imagination: for bush craft
    Collaboration: for hut building
    Knowledge: for Kaos
    Courage: for the giant swing
    I hope everybody in year 4 Carey Kew camp had a great time!
    If you could do two of the camp activities again which two would you choose?
    Bye,
    Patrick.

Reply
  4. alexcbgs
    June 6, 2018 at 11:05 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    I agree that camp was action packed and extremely fun. I myself really enjoyed it .

On camp, I think I showed courage because to try a new food is a great experience. I tried a hash brown and they were delicious. I also used connectedness with the people in my cabin.

By 4T,
    From Alex

Reply
  5. kobecbgs
    June 6, 2018 at 11:05 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    I really enjoyed camp because of all of the fun activities, my favourites was the hut building and the giant swing. I used resilience when I was doing the hut building because it fell over two times but I kept on going and then it finally worked. What did you like about camp if you went?

Reply
  6. morgancbgs
    June 6, 2018 at 11:06 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    It was so cool that you got to go to Mount Evelyn for camp and I enjoyed it too.

Some PLA’s I showed was courage because even though the giant swing was scary when I was going down I showed courage and here’s some thing more cool I was the first one to go on the giant swing and I felt exited for myself too.

Another PLA I showed was connectedness because that I wasn’t with my friends I had to make new connections with new people but I was alright with it and I might of mad a new friend doing it that.

So I hope you have more exiting events and tell us about then anyway that’s it for now keep up the blogging.

From Morgan,

Reply
  7. alexcbgs
    June 6, 2018 at 11:06 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,

What did you enjoy about camp?

By 4T,
    From Alex

Reply
  8. matildacbgs
    June 6, 2018 at 11:07 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    We had the best time in the last couple of days! My favourite activity was the giant swing but there were a some learner attributes like when we had to to pull each other up so that we could reach the top ,that was called collaboration and also when we pulled a rope, you would wait a couple of seconds and then you would suddenly fall and go back and forth ten times that was called courage. The food at camp was good too. If you have went to camp was there a giant swing ? Or if you haven’t what do you expect of them .
    See you soon 4T
    ooo Matilda

Reply
  9. nedjcbgs
    June 6, 2018 at 11:49 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    I think I showed courage When I was a bit afraid to go on the giant swing because I sort of have a fear of heights but I used courage to go to the top of the giant swing and it ended up being the best thing of my life.

What did you think about the giant swing.
    From Ned.

Reply
  10. cristianocbgs
    June 6, 2018 at 11:54 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T ,
    I really enjoyed the night walk because it was fun and I was giving something a go ,I used courage when I was walking through the wet , brown and soggy ground. When I was building my hut I think I used resilience because when we were putting on our second layer it fell down two times but I didn’t get upset I just kept on trying. What was your favourite activity ?

Reply
  11. willcbgs
    June 6, 2018 at 11:54 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    I think I used perseverance on the giant swing.
    I didn’t won’t to go to the top but I did and I wanted to do it again but they did not let me do it again.
    What is your favourite part about camping?
    From Will.

Reply
  12. ananyacbgs
    June 6, 2018 at 11:56 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    I showed courage in the giant swing. It was very high and scary but it was fun in the end.
    I also showed curiosity in ga ga ball and it was new to me.
    What other PLAs have you used?
    Bye for now Ananya.

Reply
  13. aphroditecbgs
    June 6, 2018 at 11:56 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    I love your post about camp and Positive learner Attributes.
    My favourite Activity at camp was the giant swing I think a lot of people
    like the giant swing and you get a lot of courage.Another activity I like was the damper because we learn how to cook on a fire.
    What was your favourite activity on camp?
    From Aphrodite

Reply
  14. victoriapcbgs
    June 6, 2018 at 11:58 pm (6 years ago)

Hello 4T
    OMG … camp was so fun and l wish l could go back because l had a really fun time on the Giant swing l went to the top it was high for some people but not for me . I also liked the damper making my damper cooked so well and it was so good . I have been going to the ga ga pit a lot to the ga ga pit is like. Dodgeball below your leg and if it touches your hands you are out And is single player . I did also play a lot of volleyball and sports. Over all I had a great time. What was your favourite place or camp?

Tori

Reply
  15. hollycbgs
    June 6, 2018 at 11:59 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    I just came back from camp.
    I had courage to do the giant swing and it made feel good and scared.
    I had perseverance to talk to someone who I normally don’t talk to that much.
    It was really fun with my group and my group was called Lizards and the people in my group were Danielle, Will, Taylor, Maddie, Dylan, Oscar and Zac.
    What was your favourite part about camp?

Reply
  16. maxcbgs
    June 7, 2018 at 12:03 am (6 years ago)

Hello 4T,
    I think everyone used courage for the giant swing because it is quite high and people may be afraid of heights. I also think everyone used collaboration for the hut building. Because you needed to use lots of teamwork because you were building a hut you also had to use collaboration in The hut building when you had to make you’re hut waterproof and you had to get in it while a teacher poured water on it.
    From Max.
    What did you like about camp?

Reply
  17. massimocbg
    June 7, 2018 at 12:05 am (6 years ago)

Hi 4t I played in the Gaga pit. It was fun same as the giant swing. I felt scared.
    What did you think about the giant swing?

From Massimo

Reply
  18. Madison
    June 7, 2018 at 12:06 am (6 years ago)

Hi 4T!
    It is sooooo fun at Mt Evelyn. When we were hut building Cristiano + Zoe hit me on the head with a jinormas branch and it really really hurt and gave me a headache. I made a new friend with one of the staff members. His name was Aaron. He was really nice to me and in damper making I gave him a lesson on how to make it and he even cooked it and ate it! He said it was good. I was the only one in the whole group who didn’t burn my damper. There was a lot of free time. The food was excellent and the dessert was better than last years but I still didn’t like it. I showed courage for the giant swing because I went to the top and connectedness for the hut building because I worked well with my team and that was Zoe, Cristiano, Georgia and Me. We nearly finished and when everyone left Zoe and I finished it! Now, time to tell you about the giant swing. Riley was looking after us and he asked who wants to go first? I shot my hand up and he chose Danielle. He said to her ‘ if you are going first you HAVE to go to the top’ and she said no. So once again I put up my hand and he chose me. So I went first. I went to put away up to the top and then they put the others have pulled me up into brace position and they did the countdown from 321 and then I pulled the rope and then it broke and I went flying down I didn’t realise what was happening but then when I did I screamed so loud and at the end I died ( well pretended to die) . Anyway that’s how fun it is.

What was it like for you on camp. From Madi.

Reply
  19. emmadcbgs
    June 8, 2018 at 1:14 am (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    One of the Positive Learning Attributes I showed was courage. I showed courage when I went on the giant swing. At first I didn’t want to go to the top but then I showed courage by going to the very top. I also showed courage when we were eating. I showed courage by trying new food that I had never ate.

Another Positive Learning Attribute I show was communication. I used communication when I talked to people I don’t usually talk to. I also showed it when we had to eat. I showed it by sitting with new people and talking to them.
    Did you go on the the giant swing? If so did you go to the top.

From Emma

Reply
  20. joannacbgs
    June 8, 2018 at 1:26 am (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    What a week it’s been! We had our first out-door ed camping experience! Oh boy, it was exciting! We had sooooo many activities! My personal favourite was the giant swing. In equal place is probably the wildlife encounter. For the giant swing, I used lots of Personal Learner Attributes.
    I used collaboration when I pulled the rest of my group (the Cockatoos!) up the giant swing. I used courage when I pushed on and went to the top of the giant swing! Overall, it was fun. It felt like flying!
    I used knowledge in the wildlife encounter. I put my hand up to answer the questions as best as I can! I learnt lots of things for that activity. Like, did you know that 1 in 12 long-bearded dragon babies are deformed? We got to see one that had one head and two bodies!
    Camp was fun! Really fun!
    Bye for now, Joanna!

Reply
  21. zaccbgs
    June 8, 2018 at 1:41 am (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,

One time I used a attribute was when I went on the giant swing it took a lot of courage.
    Also the hut building which took connectedness because we were connecting with the people in our group.
    And the bush craft which took imagination when you were designing your peace.

What was your favourite activity on a camp that you have been on?

Reply
  22. lucywcbgs
    June 12, 2018 at 10:22 am (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,

Last year I loved going on camp. The Gaga pit was a massive highlight and thanks to the teachers, there weren’t many disagreements.

When building the huts we had to collaborate with each other so we could use everyone’s ideas and to have the best hut. We also had to collaborate so we could get the best out of each other.

Last week at assembly I really enjoyed the mini play you put on. It was mixed with lots of humour but we all understood the events that were part of the camp like the giant swing and Jack dropping the ball. Coming across a footy training would have been a surprise but surely wouldn’t have ruined the night walk but the code brown might have been rather disturbing.

I hope you guys enjoy Souvrein Hill next year. I loved it mostly because of the school.

Lucy.

Reply