Algorithmic Thinking

“Beep, beep, beep”    “Tee hee hee”
The whirring and laughing sounds coming out the 4T classroom on Tuesday afternoon sounded like something out of a toy factory. Students had created shapes on the carpet and were required to program various digital systems to follow a path.

This was all because we have been defining terms such as ‘programming’ and ‘algorithms’ and putting our knowledge into practice.

An algorithm is a set of instructions or steps.
We have decided that a fantastic algorithm needs the following things:

Components of a great algorithm.

Programming is telling these instructions or inputting these steps into a digital system so that the algorithm can be carried out.

Programming digital systems in 4T.

On Tuesday afternoon, 4T were presented with bee bots, Dash robots and Spheros. They were required to think about the language of the algorithm that they needed to be able to use to program the digital systems and then think about the easy or good parts of programming this digital system and what someone might find tricky.

What types of digital systems do you interact with on a daily basis?

16 Comments on Algorithmic Thinking

1. morgancbgs
    March 13, 2018 at 9:28 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    I am liking how you are learning about algorithmic thinking. If I had a favourite program system it will be the Sphero because it’s funny how you program it because it would be hard to control it. Well thats what I can write right now I will see you later bye for now.
    From Morgan,

Reply
  2. joannacbgs
    March 13, 2018 at 10:27 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    I use the iPad everyday to do homework!
    I use my mums phone everyday to listen to Audible.

What do you use?
    From Joanna

Reply
    • aphroditecbgs
      March 19, 2018 at 9:59 pm (6 years ago)

Hi Joanna,
      I used the iPad too.
      I used the iPad for school and playing games.
      What is your favourite electronic device?
      From Aphrodite

Reply
  3. patrickcbgs
    March 13, 2018 at 10:30 pm (6 years ago)

Hello 4T,
    I had a great time on tuesday using algorithmic thinking. I loved using all of the amazing robots especially Sphero because it was so fast!

Some digital systems that I use are my iPad usually to watch You-Tube, X-box to play my favourite video games, I also use my phone to communicate with my mum.

What is your favourite digital system and why do you like it? Leave a comment.

Kind Regards, Patrick.

Reply
    • alexcbgs
      March 14, 2018 at 9:37 pm (6 years ago)

Hi Patrick,
      I enjoyed reading your comment. I also loved doing the algorithmic thinking. My favourite robot was the Sphero too!

My favourite digital system is a phone because I can communicate by text messages and phone calls to my friends.

What do you like about thinking algorithmic?

Reply soon,
      Alex

Reply
    • jackcbgs
      March 15, 2018 at 1:05 am (6 years ago)

Hello Patrick,

My favourite digital system is sphero because it was just a joystick and it also can go very fast. It could also go very slow. My least favourite was the bee bot because all you had to do was click arrows on the top.

What is your favourite digital system at home?

Kind regards, Jack.

Reply
  4. Miss Davidson
    March 13, 2018 at 11:48 pm (6 years ago)

Dear 4T,

What fun it looks like you had!! I’m wondering if you came across any challenges when you were programming the robots? What was the challenge? How did you overcome it?

In answer to your question, I use lots of digital systems every day – a computer, iPad and iPhone. I mostly use my iPhone although not for the phone function! I use it as my diary, to message people, to take photos, to write notes and many other things.

I’m looking forward to following your learning about algorithmic thinking!

Miss D.

Reply
  5. alexcbgs
    March 14, 2018 at 9:27 pm (6 years ago)

Hello 4T,
    I loved reading about the digital systems yesterday. My favourite system that I used was the Sphero because it was the most challenging.

The digital systems that I interact with on a daily basis are a microwave, toaster, IPad, Washing machine and a phone.

See you soon 4T and I am looking forward to reading your next post!

Kind Regards,
    Alex

Reply
  6. jackcbgs
    March 14, 2018 at 9:32 pm (6 years ago)

Hello 4T,

Yesterday’s lesson was very exciting because of all of the digital systems. My favourite digital system was the Sphero because the thing you controlled it with was a joystick and it could go very fast and very slow. The dash robot was very confusing because even if the eye is facing one way it may of gone a different way. The bee bot was quite boring because all you did was click arrows on the top.

What is your favourite? Why do you like it?

Bye Jack

Reply
    • joannacbgs
      March 19, 2018 at 9:59 pm (6 years ago)

Hi Jack,
      My favourite system was the sphero too! It was soo uncontrollable! I also liked the bee-bot. It did only what we asked it to do!
      Do you use the iPad? What do you use it for?

From Joanna

Reply
  7. lucasccbgs
    March 14, 2018 at 9:32 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T
    We interact with a phone and iPads. Regularly I use the Nintendo switch on the weekend and I also play it a little.

I think algorithms are a set of set steps to program something or someone to do something.
    Yesterday the most fantastical robot that we programmed was the Sphero. The Sphero was enjoyable beacause the Sphero could level up and learn new tricks.

The company that made the Sphero also made a robot called Ollie.
    What do you think a Ollie is?
    From Lucas

Reply
  8. matthewwcbgs
    March 14, 2018 at 9:36 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    The digital systems I use at home on a daily basis is a microwave, an oven and a clock. Other digital systems I have is a cue and an Ollie which is also made from the Sphero company.

I liked the lesson we had yesterday because I got to use robots it was really fun using the Sphero but it took about 10 tries but we got it to get around the square though.

What did you like about the session?

From Matthew

Reply
    • lucasccbgs
      March 19, 2018 at 9:58 pm (6 years ago)

Hi Matthew,
      My favourite digital system is Sphero. I really enjoyed the session because we got to explore the digital systems.

What is your favourite digital system and why?

Bye for now, Lucas

Reply
  9. victoriapcbgs
    March 14, 2018 at 9:36 pm (6 years ago)

Dear 4T

I see you have been looking at Technology. Technology is such a fun thing to do.I enjoy the dash the most because l am the most familiar with it but I still enjoy the other too.
    I all so liked the sphero.

So what is your favourite tip for technology?

Bye for now.
    Tori

Reply
  10. hollycbgs
    March 14, 2018 at 9:42 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T

I enjoyed it because we learnt new strategies to control the buttons.
    The bee bots are easier to use because they have the buttons on them instead of using our iPads we had to click on the buttons, this made the, turn left, right or forwards.

Reply
  11. emmadcbgs
    March 19, 2018 at 9:54 pm (6 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    On Tuesday afternoon we where learning about digital systems. I found the Sphero tricky because they went really fast first. Then I figured out how to slow the speed down. My favourite device was the Dash Bot. My favourite was Dash Bot because Dash Bot you can see the code that you’ve done whereas Bee Bot if you make a mistake you have to start again and Sphero is hard to control.

Some digital devices that I regularly use are TV, microwave, IPad and Wii U.

What is you favourite digital system and why?
    Leave it as a comment.

Good Bye, Emma

Reply