Aboriginal Culture Excursion

As part of our new Integrated topic this term ‘First Contacts,’ we are learning about the impact of the European Settlement on Aboriginal culture.

Have you ever wondered what traditional life was like for the Wurundjeri people (the Aboriginal tribe of the Melbourne area)?  Well, take a trip to CERES environmental park and you are sure to learn lots of new information!

Today, all the Year 4 classes visited CERES and participated in four different activities related to traditional Aboriginal culture, including:

• Bush Tucker, where we learned about how Aboriginal people used plants for food and medicine.
  • A Merri Creek history walk, where we learnt about the Victorian creation totem Bunjil (an eaglehawk), the last Wurundjeri Elder William Barak and looked at the landscape to learn how it has changed in the last 3000 years.
  • Sustainable Gardening, where we learnt about the tips, tricks and benefits of organic gardening. We compared this to how the Aboriginal people used the land and found that there were more than few similarities!
  • Storytelling, where we learnt about the importance of storytelling through art and dance and acted out the traditional story of Tiddalick the Frog.

Look at our individual student pages to learn more about our Aboriginal Culture research projects.

What was the most interesting thing you learnt at CERES?

What is something you are still wondering about and would like to explore further?

10 Comments on Aboriginal Culture Excursion

1. huntercbgs
    May 4, 2017 at 4:31 am (7 years ago)

Hi 4T

At ceres I loved learning about the different types of food and trees.
    We learned about the wondora people and there dream time stories
    but I still wonder about the dance. What do you want to learn

Signing off
    Hunter

Reply
  2. tobiecbgs
    May 4, 2017 at 4:40 am (7 years ago)

Dear 4T learners,

At CERES was a very fun experience.

What I found most interesting at CERES was that the Mary river means in aboriginal language is rocky river.

I am still wondering about that Mt franklin expolded with volcanic rocks because all of the other mountains were being mean to Mt franklin.

Jave you beed to CERES and what did you lean?

Happy leaning 4T

Reply
  3. siennacbgs
    May 4, 2017 at 5:05 am (7 years ago)

Hi 4T,

The CERES extinction was a great experience.

I thought that CERES gave me a lot of information about Indigenous Australian Culture and I definitely learned a lot. I definitely recommend going their because it does teach you a lot but also is really fun.

Have you been to CERES? Then what have you learned?

Bye!

Reply
  4. eddiecbgs
    May 4, 2017 at 5:07 am (7 years ago)

Dear 4T,

At ceres I learnt about food art and artists it was very interesting.

There was a river called mary river mary means rocky in aboriginal language.
    We learnt that mt franklin was a volcano and made the mary river.

before ceres was a aboriginal learning centre it was a junk yard!

if you have been to ceres what did you learn.

by Ed

Reply
  5. serenecbgs
    May 4, 2017 at 11:34 pm (7 years ago)

Dear 4T,

The CERES excursion was amazing. I learned about this plant called the bush tomato. The bush tomato can only be eaten in a certain season. If you eat it at the wrong time it can be poisonous.

I would like to learn about how they knew that the place they were living was safe.

Was there some thing that the people covered? If so, which question?

Serene

Reply
  6. stephaniecbgs
    May 4, 2017 at 11:39 pm (7 years ago)

Dear Ms Tirtilas,
    I really enjoyed the excursion to CERES because I learnt lots of different things. One of the most interesting facts I learnt at CERES was that the bush tomato is very poisonous when it is picked at the wrong time.
    I also liked walking to the Mary river. For the Indigenous people Mary means rocky.

I would also like to learn more about the Indigenous stories because they are very interesting.

So, when you were at CERES what did you learn?

Stephanie

Reply
  7. millycbgs
    May 4, 2017 at 11:41 pm (7 years ago)

Dear Ms Tirtilas,
    I really enjoyed our CERES excursion. I learnt that depening on how large the moon is it changs the growth of plants, it also changes how well it grows by the Ph level in the soil. I enjoyed finding out about Bunjel and how they believe he created the world. It was fascinating learning about what foods they eat depending on the season and how they have seven seasons.

I would like to look into what they wear and what they currently use for travel and how it evoled.

What are three things you learnt.

Milly.

Reply
  8. brodencbgs
    May 4, 2017 at 11:57 pm (7 years ago)

Hi 4T

How was your trip to CERES ? Well it sure looked like you had alot of fun and I hope you learnt a thing or two. I’ve once been on a bush taka I found kangaroo aples and bush tomatoes. I also enjoyed walking along the Marry Marry river. Did you know Marry Marry means rock rock river. I thought the dream time stories are interesting.
    What did you learn at CERES ?

Regards Broden

Reply
  9. domcbgs
    May 8, 2017 at 5:00 am (7 years ago)

Hi 4T,
    It sure did look exiting and a lot of fun! It also looked like you learned alot. I was bike riding past the Marie river the other day and I really enjoyed it.

I went there once before and I learnt that the a frog drank all the water and the animals got really mad. So the elders made up plans to make the frog spew out the water. The kangaroos didn’t work, the possums didn’t work and the cockatoos didn’t worh either, but the eels mad the frog spew all the water.

What did you love the most about CERES?

From, Dom

Reply
  10. Ben McGaw
    May 30, 2017 at 7:32 am (7 years ago)

Wow guys it looks like you learnt a lot and built on your understandings of how life was for the Aboriginal population of Australia Before the Establishment of European settlement.

Keep Up The Good Work 🙂

Reply